Sunday, January 16, 2011

the club can't even handle me right now

So before leaving for London, my sorority sister Meagan and I collected "abroad guides" from other sorority sisters who had already been abroad.  After accumulating 8 different abroad guides, we have now compiled the "abroad bible" which will be completed by the end of our trip and passed on to the next group of aephi's who travel to London.  It's already 50 pages long.

During one of our first evenings here, our friend Saba introduced us to some boys he went to high school with who go to IU and are in London for study abroad as well.  They invited us all to an "Abroad in London" BBM group and since we have been getting invites to highly acclaimed clubs in the area.

Wednesday, we traveled to the Oxford Circus area to a bar called China White.  One of the promoters told me that this was a place that members of Manchester United and other celebrities often frequent... I think he was trying to impress me.  We took cabs from The Crofton to the club because we figured a 20 pound cab ride with 4 people would end up being only 5 pounds and it was worth it.  Unfortunately, the cab driver dropped us off in the wrong location and we ended up having to walk for 20 minutes to find the club.  Once we arrived, we had a a blast.  The music was great, the people were fun, but the drinks were EXPENSIVE! 12.50 pounds for a drink.  That's $19.81.  Needless to say, I did not buy a drink there but managed to get some gentleman to offer to buy me one. The Brits dance way differently than Americans which was an experience.  While dancing with guys they kept twirling me around to dance facing them, which I found awkward.  There was also a group of men with a table who we couldn't figure out were gay or straight... Actually, I still don't know if they were gay or straight.  It was quite the first night out.

michaela, jenna, steph, meagan, katie, and me 

me, skylar, and meagan

The next night was Ali's birthday.  Ali is in our program but she goes to the University of Wisconsin.  Our major connection though is she is an AEPHI! We all were pumped to celebrate her birthday at a club called Boujis, which is technically walking distance from our apartments. Again, we split cabs instead of walking and this time it was less than a pound a person for the cab.  Boujis is a club that supposively was popular with Prince Harry circa 2002, according to one of our abroad guides.  The promoter boys had tried to impress us this night by telling us that Katy Perry and Russell Brand would be there.  Most of you know that the whole Russell Brand thing didn't phase me and I actually joked to the guy trying to impress that I was going to give Russell's bodyguard, Danny, a call since I had met him last year in promos for Get Him to The Greek.   Obvioulsy, Katy Perry and Russell Brand were not at the club but we had a great time celebrating Ali's birthday anyway.  We left the club around 2 am when Meagan's feet could no longer handle her Jessica Simpson shoes.
saba, meagan, me, katie, meghan

meghan & me 

skylar, meghan, me, ali 

jenna, me, meagan

me & katie

me, ali, meagan, and one of ali's friends from wisconsin

We took Friday off so we could wake up early on Saturday morning to go do some touristy things.... 

until next time,

katie

No comments: