Wednesday, February 9, 2011

no carb left behind - FLORENCE

First, I want to apologize for the lack of updating.  After returning I fell victim to the Amsterdam Plague (or the flu) and literally didn't get out of bed.... BUT NOW I'M UPDATING AND THIS TRIP WAS EPIC!

I arrived in Florence on Friday night and headed straight to the hotel, perfectly located in the Piazza de Santa Maria Novella.  My friends had arrived earlier that day because they did not have class that morning like I did.  So I dropped off my bag, changed, freshened up, and headed straight out to meet them at the restaurant they were having dinner at.  Luckily, I am good with a map and was able to find it with ease.  It didn't really bother me either that I was truly getting to experience Florence for the first time alone and enjoy the beauty of the city.  Our hotel was located down the street from the Duomo and I had the good fortune of getting to walk past it with all its glory on my way to meet my friends for dinner.

When I arrived at the restaurant, my friends were just finishing their meal.  Sam's best friend from home is studying in Florence this semester so post-dinner we went back to her apartment and enjoyed some Italian vino (haha lisa) and enjoyed each other's company.  We were planning on going out to a bar but, by the time we were ready to make moves, it was already 2 am and we decided that it was more worth our time to go home and get some sleep before our long day of touring on Saturday.
jenna, skylar, sam & me


Saturday morning we woke up bright and early and set out to find the Uffizi gallery.  Our excitement about just plain being in Florence got the best of us and we got a little lost.  Fortunately for us, the weather was beautiful and we didn't mind walking a little bit further.









When we got to the Uffizi, we had to climb up what seemed like thousands of stairs.. I guess the Italians don't believe in elevators.  After surviving the climb, we browsed through the Uffizi gallery, appreciating the Birth of Venus and many other beautiful paintings.  At the end of our perusal, we sat out on the terrace and enjoyed the view of Florence.  The city is absolutely beautiful.

Next, we walked across town to go see the David.  On our way there, we literally walked into a protest.

I guess the Prime Minister of Italy is quite fond of paying for his women.... woops.

The David was quite magnificent.  If anyone has ever described someone as having a powerful presence, I'm pretty sure David has got them beat.  He was quite incredible and the fact he was made out one piece of marble just makes it even more incredible.   I was able to snap a picture, but was then ridiculed by some older lady in Italian.

Finally, it was time for me to have my first Italian meal.  Another friend of ours who is studying abroad in Florence advised us to walk as far away from the Duomo in order to get the most authentic Italian food and the best selection.  We found a cute little restaurant right near the Ponte Vecchio.  I splurged and decided to get a salad and a pasta dish.  I was not disappointed.  I got my favorite salad ever, Caprese and also ordered the Lasagna.  It was absolutely perfect.  The lasagne melted in my mouth.  MAGNIFICO.


After we sat and digested our lunch for 15-20 minutes, we set out to a sight that one of my best friends from home, Lisa, who studied abroad in Florence last year, told me I had to go to.  She had explained that the climb to the top of the Piazzale Michelangelo was a bit challenging but that it was so worth the view.  We stopped for gelato before we climbed and then set out on the trek.  She didn't lie... It was definitely difficult. But the view from the top was unreal and unforgettable.  From now on, when someone tells me to go to my happy place, I will picture the view from the top of the Piazzale Michelangelo.









After about an hour, we decided it was time to leave this heavenly spot to go shopping.  We walked down to cross over the Ponte Vecchio.


That night for dinner, I swear, I tasted food from God's hands.  We had been told about this restaurant, La Giostra, that served Brie Ravioli and we thought it sounded too good to pass up.  We asked someone for directions and set out, with my map in hand, to find the restaurant.  When we arrived, the waitstaff told us that we would probably need to wait 30 minutes, and we decided it was necessary to wait.  It was already 11 pm anyway and we wanted to try the Brie Ravioli.  While waiting we looked at two things: the menu and the walls.  The menu had some of the most delicious things I had ever heard of.  The walls were covered with pictures of celebrities, all with one man.  We figured he was the owner.  After about 30 minutes, the waitstaff was able to put together a 7 person table for us.  We sat down and shortly thereafter a young man came to fill up flutes of champagne for us.  What meal could go wrong from there?
(clockwise from bottom left) sam, tessa, steph, jenna, skylar, meagan & me

Then, the man from the pictures came to our table.  It was obvious that he was the only person who took the orders in this place and that he was the man of the house.  He asked us if we were ready to order.  I quickly responded with "What do you recommend?"  We all listened to his recommendation and decided on 3 appetizers, we would each get our own pasta dish, and we would share some main dishes.  We ordered basically everything he ordered.  We decided it was was worth it to go big or go home.

After he disappeared with our order, a girl came to our table with an extra large plate filled with appetizers such as bruschetta, stuffed mushrroms, balsamic egglpant slices, roasted red peppers, squash filled with bread crumbs, and some sort of patte on sliced bread.  As she placed the plate on the table, she said "some appetizers on the house."

When the 7 of us had polished off that plate, the three appetizers we had ordered for the table arrived.  First was burrata with cantaloupe and honey.  Second was fresh mozzarella and prosciutto.  Last was roasted zucchini and tomatoes with parmesan cheese.  I wish I could explain in words the sensation the food caused, especially the burrata.  My favorite was the fresh mozarella with prosciutto, but thats the Greenthal in me :).

Then came our pasta dishes.  I ordered a penne with fresh tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.  I wish I was lying when I say that I cried at the taste of my food.  I swear, it came straight from God.  We all tried each others dishes.  Meagan ordered gnocchi with spinach and ricotta cheese; it was literally like butter the way it melted in your mouth.  Stephanie ordered ravioli with pear and pecarrino cheese.  Jenna and skylar split their first pasta dish which was a spaghetti bolognese.  We all struggled to finish our dishes but were determined to be a part of the clean plate club.

I had forgotten that we had ordred a second dish.  Soon, a plate full of goat spears was placed in between  Meagan and I.  It was the tastiest thing I have ever placed in my mouth.  I told Meagan that I couldn't eat anymore and she told me NO YOU MUST. AEPHI sisterly love.

When the meal was done, the same man that had taken our order came back to our table to ask us how the food was.  I turned around with tears in my eyes and told him "my life has changed forever." Meagan turned to him and said "you are a god. marry me please."  He asked us if we were going to order dessert and I told him if I ate any more he would have to roll me out the front door.  He insisted we have tiramisu and that he would give it to us on the house.  I insisted we pay but he refused to let us pay. I have never been a fan of tiramisu but this was from heaven. It tasted like clouds.

We made sure to get a picture with the waitstaff before we left.  We told him we wanted our picture on the wall and he told us to send him the picture and it would go up there.  Sam's friend Tessa who is studying in Florence is going to take the picture to him once she gets it printed.  We will forever be a part of La Giostra.

My time in Florence was unbelievable.  It is definitely on my list of places I plan on going to again, and I will definitely be back at La Giostra.

Until next time,

Katie

p.s. GO PACK GO

No comments: