Thursday, March 24, 2011

eating and walking - ROME

When my sorority sister Meredith made plans to come and visit during her spring break, she asked that we make a trip to Italy while she was here.  Since Meagan (my other sorority sister) and I had already traveled to Florence earlier this semester, we decided it would be the perfect time to go to Rome.  We booked the tickets and were ready to go.

We left early Saturday morning and arrived in Rome around 11.  We had booked tickets on a Hop On Hop Off bus which did a 2 hour lap around the city.  We decided to grab som lunch before we got on the bus.  We all decided to go with pizza, one with prosciutto, one with hot salami, and the other plain margherita.



The bus was the perfect way to see the entire city.  We got to see all kinds of things.. unfortunately, I can't remember what everything was but I have pictures :)

US Embassy





Where Mussolini would give his speeches, from that balcony







where they would have the chariot races

jewish temple













After the bus we hopped off at the Trevi fountain.  It was absolutely beautiful and magnificent.  It was very special to know that I was standing in the same place that so many people had made such special wishes before me.







That night, we decided to try and go to a restaurant near the Spanish Steps that had been recommended to us.  Unfortunately, when we arrived there the host let us know they were fully booked for the night so we found a different restaurant.  I had two items:
fettucine bolognese
baked eggplant appetizer


The next mornign we woke up early and headed straight to the Vatican.  To our surprise, it was the Rome Marathon, so getting to the Vatican was not especially easy.

We eventually made our way across into Piazza San Pietro.  The Musei Vaticani and Sistene Chapel were closed because it was Sunday but I was truly content with St Peters Basillica.  Emma had told me it was incredible and she wasn't wrong.  And we got to see the Pope! (I'm such a good Jew)









THE POPE!



We left St Peters and started walking aimlessly with goals to get to the Colosseum.  On our there we stopped for lunch and i got the most delicious pizza with buffalo mozzarella and prosciutto.. NOM NOM NOM


There are really no words to explain how magnificent the colloseum was.  Only pictures can describe.
















And then, of course, we ate one more time
spaghetti with olive oil and spicy pepper




We flew home on Sunday night and now I am preparing for two AMAZING visitors: Ana Senior and Emma Peterson!!! WoOOOOOO
ana & me

me & emma

Until next time,

Katie

No comments: